My Bee buddy Charlotte was given this Singer 15-91, but she decided she didn’t want it. She asked if I would like it! I almost peed myself with excitement! Of course I wanted it! After all…she who dies with the most sewing machines – WINS!
I checked the serial number with Singer and found it was made in 1953, good year, my birth year, must be a good machine.
The cabinet is in pretty good shape. I’m going to start stripping it next week.
The serial number identifies it as made in 1953. Go to the Singer website to find your machine age at
I began by removing whatever parts I could. The face plate was real grimy. I began oiling all the moving parts. I lubricated the motor. Sewing machine oil and cotton balls did a great deal to start the cleaning process.
The Vintage Sewing Machine group on Facebook recommends using GOJO without pumice to clean the grime. Another blogger recommended using TR-3 Resin Glaze. It is an automobile polish. I ordered it from Amazon and it did a really good job without hurting the decals.
I’m pretty pleased so far. It still needs more cleaning, but not too bad so far. I’ll let you know when I get it re-wired and when the cabinet is refinished.